Friday, January 16, 2009

Think good art global, act good art local

A while ago, I vowed to get rid of all my pre-fab art and hang only original stuff. I'm not there yet, but here's some cool stuff I have acquired, some of it from people you might know.

Too long ago for me to only be acknowledging it just now, my blogger friend Dave from Bad Art Global sent me two paintings from his yellow tulip series. The one on the right also features a robot, which is a common theme of Dave's. I believe they are watercolor on heavy paper. I love these pieces and so I used them to frame two pieces I acquired on the Venice boardwalk. "Karoake Brian" is pastel crayon on cardboard, and "Todd Fish" is acrylic on 2x4. Don't they make a great grouping? And I think I paid twenty dollars total.

This is a print from Mary Catherine over at little red fox. It's called "Little Ghost Girl," and you can buy one in her Etsy shop for only $18! I love her stuff.

I bought two paintings of cows at a yard sale for about ten bucks, and my ex made frames for them out of scrap wood.

This one is supposed to look like you're looking through a fence. Cool, huh?


This is a photo I bought from a photographer at the NoHo Arts Festival. At $35 it's one of my more expensive pieces, but I really like it.


I also got this at the (sadly, now defunct) NoHo Arts Festival. It's part collage and part original painting, on cardboard. I paid $25, I think. It's interesting, isn't it?


This one I also bought on the Venice Boardwalk and I paid 100 clams for it. Pricey, I know, but it is an original acrylic on canvas, and it's over two feet wide. The bridge pictured, called the Hyperion Aqueduct, runs over the LA River between Silver Lake and Atwater Village. One of the tags the painter included on the underside of the bridge is a from a tagger who works in my neighborhood as well. Small world.

Spooney painted this one. The photo doesn't do it justice; the brush strokes are nice and the colors are sort of softly unique. As far as I know it was free, but Spooney will probably reposess it if we ever break up.


My sister painted this for my Grandmother, and she was gracious enough to let me have it when Gran died because she thinks its corny, and I love it. My sister has such a talent for watercolors, which I could never do at all because watercolors are HARD.

And this thing I did. I drew it for Gran about 15 years ago, and I ended up with it again after she died. It's from a photograph of her holding my sister as a baby. The mat and frame are hideous, I know, but I think I was trying to match Gran's sofa, or something. Anyway, it's ebony pencil on paper, and the cost was only a tiny bit of heartbreak.

8 comments:

RandyLuvsPaiste said...

I like the Spooney painting best, and no, not just because I know the artist. I really had no idea he could paint.

Geez, ya think ya know a guy and then this...

SkylersDad said...

Beautiful stuff Vikki, and Spooney's looks great!

Anonymous said...

We live right near the aqueduct, so I recognized it right away. I go on walks along the edge and know that exact spot. Pretty f'n cool painting.

AND I'm impressed with you, your sister, and Spooney- as well as with the frames your ex made! What talented people you surround yourself with! (cough, cough)

Greg said...

Ditto of what's said above. Really nice works you have.

Anonymous said...

Nice collection. I wish more people would realize how much great, inexpensive original stuff there is out there. A street fair deal in a museum quality frame (not as expensive as it sounds) costs so much less and looks so much better than mall art.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Ugh, I hate that watercolor, but I knew Gran would like it. I'm glad it lives on. Oh, and I love my Mary Catherine more every day - thanks!

vikkitikkitavi said...

Readers: yes I love MC's prints so much that I even gave my sister one. It looks like the one she got is out of stock, tho, so I can't show it to you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent collection.