Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I knew this day would come

A woman in NY was ticketed for being childless:

The Rivington Playground is a lovely place for parents to take their young children. It is even protected by a rule that prevents adults from sitting there without a child - and apparently they mean it.

Sandra Catena, Dance Instructor: "I'm sorry, I didn't see
the sign."

Ask Sandra Catena, a dance instructor from Jersey City who walked into the park on Saturday while she was waiting for an arts festival to begin, when she was approached by two police officers.

Sandra Catena, Dance Instructor: "They said it's against the law, you have to be accompanied by a child to sit in a kitty (sic) park and they were giving me a summons. I said 'you're kidding right?' and he said 'no.'"

And so the officers, obviously well-trained at sensing a dangerous situation when they encounter one, did the only thing sensible. While they were writing this dance instructor a summons, they called for back-up.

Already guarded by two officers, one of whom had his hand on his gun, according to Catena, two more police officers soon arrived and stood nearby with their hands on their guns in case there was trouble - from the dance instructor.

Sandra Catena, Dance Instructor: "The other two officers that just puled up their car got out, spoke with the other cop and then they walked toward me - they both had their hands on their guns too."

But there was no trouble. They wrote the summons and now the dance instructor has to face the bar of justice for her ... crime.

Sandra Catena, Dance Instructor: "I have to go to court on November 16th and I was told that if I did not go to court a warrant would be issued for my arrest if the judge does not dismiss this I can get 90 days in jail or a $1,000 fine."


See? This is why I always carry embriotic stem cells in my purse.

No comments: