Wednesday, November 08, 2006

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities...

Even though I disagree with a lot of his positions, I can’t help feeling bad that Harold Ford Jr. lost in Tennessee, because I think he’d be a hell of a Senator.

Every Tennessean I’ve heard interviewed in the past couple of weeks who did not want to vote for Ford seemed pretty vague on the reasons why. The interviews mostly went like this:
Reporter: Who are you voting for?
Voter: I’m voting for Corker, because I’m for A, B, and C.
Reporter: Harold Ford is for A, B, and C. Why wouldn’t you vote for him?
Voter: I…ah, I don’t…trust him.

The exchanges left me feeling that many Tenneseans’ objections to him might be little more than…um…skin deep. In which case I’d say that the RNC’s “Take me, Mandingo!” attack ad against Ford struck exactly the right note.

Volunteer staters, if you’re out there, feel free to chime in on why you think Ford lost.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Tennessee. For further insight ask Al Gore.

Moderator said...

He's young. Is he even 35? He'll be back. He even said so.

Megan said...

I'm not from Tennessee, but as a neighboring Virginian I suspect his skin color might have had just a teensy bit to do with it.