Monday, May 08, 2006

Favorite Bitch

Sure, it's boring to bet the short odds, but Saturday I scored my first Derby pool win ever.

Woo Hoo!

Every Derby Day, a group of midwestern/southern refugees in LA gather to drink mint juleps, eat Derby pie and pimento cheese sandwiches, drink more mint juleps, and indulge in a little friendly pony action.

For the past several years our hostesses have been the Louisville-bred Watson Twins. They know how to do it up right, even arranging shipments of Derby swag from their relatives back home. Plus, they mix a mean julep, my friends.

So my win Saturday put me up by 8 bucks for the day. Unfortunately, I am still down about 100 bucks over the 8 or so years since this party started.

Hey, that's a lot of one-dollar bets, my friends. Don't mock.

And I seem to do just as poorly in the years when I spend weeks doing research as I do in the years when I, say, pick the horse with the funniest name.


Plus, I seem to have lost my big ole' hat.

Bourbon & the ponies. It's a heady mix, gentle readers.

(photo courtesy of G Beth)

4 comments:

Moderator said...

I never realized the Watson Twins were real "twins" until I saw that video w/ Jenny Lewis yesterday. I need to party with them.

RandyLuvsPaiste said...

...Unlike the Thompson Twins, the Glitter Twins and the Cocteau Twins.
Do I detect a new MySpace poll?
"Musical Twins who aren't REALLY twins".
BTW-awesome pic, Vikki. Spooney is like human comfort food.

Anonymous said...

and I don't go straight to your thighs... Well actually it depends on who's thighs you're talkin 'bout

GETkristiLOVE said...

You finally won, yea!