Monday, July 17, 2006

Aw, but ain't that America?

Hoosier, dolt-for-hire, and former VP Dan "potatoe" Quayle walked out of a John Mellencamp concert in Nevada on Friday. Mellencamp, also a Hoosier, dedicated his song, "Walk Tall" to "everyone hurt by policies of the current Bush administration."

Quayle later released a statement saying "Well, I think Mellencamp's performance was not very good to begin with, and the comment put it over the top.''

Mellencamp as yet has not commented on the incident, but IF HE DID, I think it would go a little somethin like dis:

Well there's a young man in a t-shirt
Listening to a rockin rollin station
Hes got a greasy hair, greasy smile
He says: lord, this must be my destination
cuz they told me, when I was younger
Boy, youre gonna be president
But just like everyting else, those old crazy dreams
Just kinda came and went.

9 comments:

Larry Jones said...

As a performer, it is one of my highest aspirations to lure an asshole like Quayle to a show, and then piss himm off enough to get up and stalk out.

It would have been better if it had been Rumsfeld or Cheney, but I'll bet Mellencamp is OK with this.

Megan said...

You picked my FAVORITE Mellencamp song, although "Jackie Brown" is a close second.

And when did Dan Quayle become a critic for Rolling Stone?

GETkristiLOVE said...

Go Johnny, you sexy hunk of Hoosier rocker!

RandyLuvsPaiste said...

How long do you give Dan before he stomps out of a Banquet Hall show?

"I left because the beats were hard to dance to, and that singer was drunk and belligerent anyway."

Larry Jones said...

Wow, I spelled "him" the same way Dan Quayle does.

Moderator said...

I have a soft spot in my heart for JCM and none of my hipster friends understand that.

vikkitikkitavi said...

LJ: If it had been Rumsfeld or Cheney, then Drudge would be all up in the shit, and O'Reilly would start talking about a boycott, but since it's Quayle, everybody's all "Uh, who?"

Megan: My fav too. 2nd fav = Lonely Ole Night.

GKristiL: I knew you would show up if I posted on JM.

Randyluv: You forgot about the catty drummer.

Grant: If you're from Indiana, you're required to like Mellencamp, just as you're required to worship fellow Hoosiers Kurt Vonnegut and poet James Whitcomb Riley.

Oh, and it's JM, not JCM. We never speak of the "Cougar" period in Indiana.

Anonymous said...

My mom is friends with a guy who went to college with Quayle. He said that even on campus, the guy was a joke and no one thought he was very bright.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Jess: The Quayles owned the major newspaper in Indy, I belive, and were big on the social scene there, such as it was. But even in a state as intellectually starved as Indiana, we all knew the whole Quayle family were just jerks. I remember when he was named by 41 as VP candidate, my grandmother sniffed and said "Born with a silver spoon..."