Thursday, July 13, 2006

Now shut the fuck up before I forget that you're a man of god

From Ken Lay's memorial service, which was attended by James Baker and 41:

[Rev. William] Lawson likened Lay to James Byrd, a black man who was dragged to death in a racially motivated murder near Jasper eight years ago. "Ken Lay was neither black nor poor, as James Byrd was, but I'm angry because Ken was the victim of a lynching," said Lawson, who predicted that history will vindicate Lay.

Uh, Rev. Lawson, let me walk you through a tiny history lesson. This:


was a lynching.

What James Byrd went through, being dragged behind a truck, alive, until he was decapitated and his limbs separated from his torso - that was a lynching.

Having to put your Aspen house in your wife's name to avoid government seizure is not a lynching.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like when people talk about how "brave" and/or "courageous" actresses are for making themselves look ugly for a movie role.

???

RandyLuvsPaiste said...

I love how conservatives in 2006 try to associate themselves with Civil Rights martyrs and leaders (think back to the Rosa Parks funeral). Now that it's socially unacceptable to be outwardly racist, they're hoping you'll forget it was the conservatives who were the big obstacle.

I'm willing to bet that in 50 years, conservatives will start invoking the name of Mathew Shepard.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Jess: I will admit to bravery being a somewhat relative term, but no, I don't think it extends to the absence of makeup.

Randyluv: Yeah, "Party of Lincoln" my ass. The fact that all southern Dems became Repubs when civil rights hit should tell you something.

And I can only pray for the day when they compare themselves to Shepard, however erroneously.