Thursday, August 25, 2005

I can play her. Really I can!

I have actresses I love, and actresses I hate. Somewhere in the middle, but tending toward the bottom, is Kate Mulgrew.

But she finally seems to have snagged a part that she can play.

Katherine Hepburn.

No, I'm not kidding. The actress who's known for copping Katherine Hepburn is actually playing Katherine Hepburn in Tea for Five at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Can you imagine the conversation with her agent that led to that gig?

Kate: Ira, you've got to get me a job. It's been a long time since that Star Trek rehash went belly up. What happened with that MOW?
Agent: No go. They passed.
Kate: Why?
Agent: They wanted someone different. Less Katherine Hepburn-like.
Kate: But I can be less Katherine Hepburn-like.
Agent: Kate...
Kate: Okay, okay... (thinks) I know, I could play Katherine Hepburn!
Agent: Cate Blanchett already did that.
Kate: Bitch! So get me another Katherine Hepburn role.
Agent: But Kate...
Kate: Find one! (slams down the phone)

No comments: