Thursday, March 23, 2006

Monument to birth control is more like it.

From the creator of The Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy Memorial and The Ted Williams Memorial Display with Death Mask, from The Ben Affleck 2004 World Series Collection, comes Monument to Pro-Life: The Birth of Sean Preston.

Yes, THAT Sean Preston.

Infant-son-of-Britney-Spears Sean Preston.

Why is the sculpture a "monument to pro-life"? According to the gallery co-owner, it's because “A superstar at Britney’s young age having a child is rare in today’s celebrity culture. This dedication honors Britney for the rarity of her choice and bravery of her decision."

The exhibit apparently includes materials from the Manhattan Right to Life Committee.

Uh, okay. I'm not exactly sure why it's a brave choice for a white trash millionaire desperate for love and attention to squeeze out the pup she intentional set out to have, but hey, it's "art," right? We're not meant to "understand" it.

At first I was sure the whole thing was a hoax or a publicity stunt, but after googling the artist and noting the cheesiness of his other work, I'm not so sure.

What do you think? Schlock, or deeply ironic?


(I'm not sure whether to thank Alex for the tip, or kick her in the behind for exposing me to this thing that makes me want to scrub my eyeballs with bleach.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'd betterscrub your eyes as along with this article because you're both dirty.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I've never given birth, but isn't it incredibly hard from this position?

Pops said...

I can only say a) thanks for the link and b) thank Holy Jesus that they showed this sculpture from the side and not the back.